Yesterday I went to see Dr. Breen for my 38 week appointment.
I have to admit, as nostalgic as I’ve been about the end of this pregnancy, the side effects are finally getting to me. I haven’t been in charge of my right arm in almost a month. I don’t remember the last time I slept more than an hour at a stretch. I’d love to eat dinner – and not have to burp it up for the next twelve hours. I’m about ready to put in an eviction notice. 🙂
But – still no signs whatsoever of labor. The baby is still floating freely (not engaged in the birth canal) and there is no dilation or effacement. I had thought the plan was that if I wasn’t showing signs of labor by now, we were going to plan a c-section. But I think we might be victims of Dr. Breen’s holiday plans. He has decided to give me until Wednesday, Dec. 4th to see what happens. It just so happens, he is out of town starting tomorrow until Sunday. Coincidence…? Hmm.
But that’s ok. If there’s still any chance I can have him vaginally, I’ll take it! Dr. Breen has discussed my case with all of his colleagues. If I go into labor before next Wednesday, I’m to go to the hospital immediately and they will re-assess at that time if I can try vaginally or if they should go straight to c-section. They have decided that they will not try any interventions – no vacuum, no forceps. If he doesn’t slide out on his own, it’s back to c-section.
So, if I don’t go into labor today, I definitely don’t want to before next Sunday when Dr. Breen is back! If I go in Wednesday the 4th and show no signs of labor, the c-section will probably be Friday the 6th or Monday the 9th. The baby’s due date is Dec. 8th, so that’s just about right. Once next Wednesday rolls around, it’s really like the clock is off. Since there’s no chance of a vaginal delivery after that, we might as well let him cook ’til he’s ready.
So that’s where we’re at with the pregnancy! I think we’ve got everything else ready. The house has been scrubbed top to bottom. the car seat is adjusted to newborn and the bases are installed in the cars. Troy, the baby and I all have bags packed. There’s a plan in place for Davie. Last Saturday mom and I went to Target and bought enough groceries for a week’s worth of meals, Thanksgiving dinner for the whole family, and a big snack bag for Troy and I to take to the hospital when I’m in labor. With coupons and deals, I saved $105! 🙂 I think I could’ve saved more if I had gone to Walmart and HEB and gotten some things there, but I knew I didn’t have the energy for it, so spending a little more to get everything in one place was worth it. Plus, we got an extra turkey at $0.50/lb for Christmas. So we’re ahead of the game!
Saturday evening Troy, Davie, mom, dad and I put up our tree and decorated the house for Christmas. It finally got cold here in Austin – down to the 30’s at night! – and it felt so Christmasy! 🙂 We even lit a fire in the fireplace. The house seems so warm and cozy! I just love it! I made potato soup one night and chicken & dumplings the next.
Mom came back Sunday to help me finish. We also wrapped all the presents I have bought so far and gathered up all the props I’d like to use for newborn pics of Isaiah and Christmas pics with Davie and Isaiah together. It’s so good to have everything done! I couldn’t have done it without my folks.
I don’t know why it’s still so hard to call the baby by his name. I guess it’s the infertile in me, terrified that if I give him a name he won’t come to be. Even now, on the verge of his birth, I know the risks, the chances that things may not turn out the way we plan or hope. I’m trusting in my doctors, trusting in the Lord, but I still get scared. Oh Lord, please help my faith grow strong. Please bring my son, your creation, safely into this world. Thank you for the time we have had together. It is so precious. Amen.