All Aboard!

Our two embies survived thaw and are on board!  One was fully expanded, the other was still re-expanding.  We got the pics of our blasts around noon, and we could see the larger one was already hatching.  By the time the transfer took place about 1:15, it was hatching even more!  More of the cells were extruding from the shell.  The other still hadn’t fully re-expanded, but Dr. Silverberg said he could still tell the cells were alive because they were light colored and they had seen them expanding since the thaw.  He said when the embryo doesn’t survive thaw and dies, the cells turn really dark and clump together.  I’m hoping and praying they’re both already attaching!

It’s been a rough couple of days.  First there was the drama on Friday where my boss threatened not to let me off on Wednesday.  Then I had to get permission to leave a little early on Tuesday to go to the dentist to have those three cavities on the top filled (which actually wasn’t a problem, my boss was really understanding). 

Only … Monday evening I got home and mopped the floors, did laundry, the usual stuff, then worked on a cedar chest I’m re-finishing in the garage.  Troy got home and washed the dogs, then we had dinner and watched two new series, Once Upon a Time and Grimm.  I think we’re going to check out Once Upon a Time again, but probably not Grimm.  The last few Monday nights we’ve been watching the new Spielberg series, Terra Nova, but it’s been off while the World Series has been going on.  We were in bed by 9:30m, and I laid in bed and read blogs ’til about 11.  So you know, a regular, typical night in the American household (Davie was with Mom Monday night).  Only …

About 1am, Troy stared tossing and turning hard and woke us both up.  Next thing, he was in the bathroom, blowing chunks out of both ends.  When the storm had passed, he started shaking hard with chills.  Finally about 2 I got him all wrapped up in bed with Sprite and water by his side, then I went to get a little sleep in the spare bedroom.  Until about 4 am, when I woke up with horrible stomach cramps, dripping in sweat, waves of nausea flowing over me.  I just made it to the bathroom in time.  Both ends – fortunately, I threw up first, then the runs.  Followed by bone-chilling shakes.  No matter how many blankets I piled on, I just couldn’t get warm.  I’d drift off to sleep for about 15-30 minutes, only to wake up burning hot, drenched in sweat … lather, rinse, repeat.

So of course, I had to call in.  I called my boss several times to apologize.  I feel so bad.  I can’t believe the timing, it couldn’t have been any worse.  I finally stopped throwing up and the runs stopped about 10am.  At 3, I did one of the hardest things ever – I drug my sorry, puked-out, nauseated, dehydrated ass to the dentists office and endured three fillings.  It sucked ass, my friends.  I came home and passed back out.

Needless to say, my second call (after grovelling to the boss) was to the Texas Fertility Center.  My nurse checked with Dr. Silverberg, and they assured me that having the stomach bug the day before would not lessen my chances of success.  They said they would call me first thing in the morning, though, and as long as I didn’t have fever and wasn’t actively throwing up, they would thaw the embryos and we’d be good to go.

By this morning (Wednesday), I felt much better.  My ribs ache from the vomiting and I’m tired, but overwise, not too much worse for wear.  But whatever that bug was, it has to be one of the most brutal 24 hr things I’ve ever gone through.  The cramps were horrendous.  I found out from my IVF nurse that it ran rampant through the Texas Fertility staff, too!  My girlfriend Judy said a lot of people at her office got it, too.  She actually got it twice in two weeks!  I can’t imagine.  I got up early before the transfer and scrubbed the whole house, every toilet, sink, tub, counter and floor.  Then all the trash went out.  I stripped every bed and all the sheets, blankets, towels and clothes went into the wash on ‘sanitize.’  All the dishes went into the dishwasher, even if I had already washed them in the sink.  Then I took a long, hot shower. 

Then Mom & Davie arrived, and we were off to the St. David’s Women’s Fertility Surgical Center.  My girlfriend Judy met us there.  Troy couldn’t be there ’cause he’s almost out of time off, and we’d like to take a day or two around Christmas to go see his family, so I asked him to save those days.  Judy kept Davie while my mom went into the surgical suite with me.  We watched my two pretty embryos on the screen and chatted with Dr. Silverberg.  It was over in a flash!  My first ever Frozen Embryo Transfer was complete!

Mom brought me home and put some chicken in the crock pot for us, and finished up the laundry for me.  I got to kiss on Davie a little more, then they left to stay at my brothers’ tonight.  For one, it’s hard for me to be around Davie and NOT pick her up.  For another, I didn’t want to expose her or mom to the house too much until I’m sure any chance of them getting the bug is gone.  As horrible as it was for me and Troy, I’m sure it would put a baby in the hospital.

I’ve been lying around the rest of the day catching up on the DVR.  I watched a little Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story and Extreme Couponing (WHY can’t I figure out how to get diapers for free???).  When Troy got home we ate chicken and rice and watched NCIS.  Love me some Jethro and Abby!  Now Troy’s playing Batman on the PS3 and I’m updating the blog before we crash out again.  Tomorrow Davie, my mom and my nephews will be here to stay with us, and I can’t wait!  It’s been a long road to here, but things are lookin’ up, getting better.  Life feels good. 🙂


16 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Pie
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 09:36:49

    You poor thing – nothing worse than a tummy bug – except maybe a tummy bug followed by dental work Geez!!

    Rest, rest rest, and let those blasts snuggle in!


  2. Ashley
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 11:29:37

    Good luck!! I hope this works for you and you will be done with all this. We are getting our frozen embie put in on December 5th do I love to see FET success stories (shhh, it’s a secret, there will be no blog mention of it!)!

    Rest up!


  3. katery
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 13:22:09

    soory you were sick 😦 good luck with the fet, i hope those are some sticky embies!!


  4. Sweet Georgia
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 21:25:26

    Good luck! Hope those little embies are settling right in.
    sorry about the flu, hopefully it stays away.


  5. sunflowerchilde (Stacey)
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 22:17:45

    Good luck! And I’m SO sorry about the sickness and the dentist all together, I don’t know how you managed it. And missing your poor little baby, too. I’m crossing my fingers the FET works!


  6. linds
    Oct 28, 2011 @ 08:53:23

    Glad it all worked out in the end and that the embabies are on board!! 🙂 I am so hopeful for you and have everything crossed!! p.s.. I really liked Once Upon a Time, I watched the first epi last week. Didn’t try out Grimm, but have heard good things about Terra Nova too! Rest up and I am glad you are feeling better!!


    • iamstacey
      Nov 03, 2011 @ 22:13:19

      Thanks for the good wishes! We’re already behind on Once Upon A Time, but we really enjoyed the first episode and I know we’ll get caught up!


  7. Another Dreamer
    Oct 29, 2011 @ 14:04:35

    A little late commenting, but oh my goodness what a ride 😦 Hope you are feeling a lot better now. And I’m sending so many positive thoughts for this cycle! Good luck!


  8. Low Fat Lady
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 09:22:09

    Wow you have been through a lot in a couple of days! so glad your feeling better and you were able to do the FET! LM is going through the stomach bug right now, but his seems to be hanging on longer. I hope it goes away soon. I hope to hear good news in two weeks 😉


    • iamstacey
      Nov 03, 2011 @ 22:16:52

      Oh, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for good news, too!! I hope LM is feeling better! Poor baby, it kicked my butt, I can’t imagine a little one going through it. 😦 I hope he’s all better now!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: