I awoke from my nap in intense lower abdominal and back pain.  It hurt to move, especially my hips.  No matter how I tossed, turned or twisted, there was no relief.  I was baffled – we’d done IVF once before, and the egg retrieval was a breeze!  A little bit of cramps, but I didn’t even take the pain meds they gave me.  In fact, I think I ended up giving them to my mom later on.  What was going on?

Ovarian Hyper-stimulation Syndrome (OHSS) popped into my mind immediately, and I panicked.  I had read another IFer’s blog where her OHSS was so bad, they had to freeze her embryos and come back later to try an FET after she healed from the OHSS.  My cell phone was by the bed, and I called Troy.  It turned out he had checked on me just a little bit earlier, and since I was sleeping, he felt it was ok to go into work for a little bit.  He had actually just gotten there, so he turned around and came right back. 

While I was waiting for him, I took one of the pain pills.  When I had left the clinic after the egg retrieval, the nurse had cautioned me that I could have ONE more pill that day, and I had been saving it for bedtime.  I decided to call my IVF nurse, Susan, and ask if it would be ok to take another one later.  I tried to sit up, and was shocked by the wave of pain so bad I could barely talk.  Susan only talked to me for a minute, and told me to come in right away, stopping only to get my blood drawn on the way to check my blood count.

Troy had to half-carry me and I couldn’t stand straight up.  I had to shuffle bent over like an old lady with osteoporosis.  I was pale white and my hair stuck up all over the place.  I’m pretty sure I traumatized all the poor IFers in the waiting room.  I was cramping so bad, I couldn’t tell if I had to pee or not, but fortunately I didn’t wet myself. 

Of course, Silverberg wanted to do an ultrasound right away.  I was almost impossible to lie back on the table, I couldn’t imagine dealing with the wand, too!  But he was extra gentle and it went ok.  He checked first to be sure I hadn’t bled into my abdomen, and all looked good.  Then he checked for signs of OHSS, although he said it would’ve been too soon for that.  Fortuately, there was no extra fluid around my ovaries.  However, my ovaries are almost three times the size they are supposed to be, and they both heavily bruised.  He said it was similar to if a man was kicked in the nuts so hard they swelled up three times their normal size, only not quite as bad as having it happen inside your abdomen.  He encouraged me to think positively, that although I was in pain we still looked all good to go forward with an embryo transfer in a few days, and to start taking two pain pills at a time every four hours.

We headed straight home and were in bed by 7:30.  Obviously, I’m up again.  I woke up in pain about 15 minutes ago, although I have to admit, it’s getting better.  I’ve taken my pills and am waiting for it to kick in.  Unfortunately, hydrocodone makes me have vivid dreams and I don’t really sleep when I’m taking it, so I know I’m going to be tired tomorrow.  And weirdly enough, the pain now seems to also be in my tailbone, almost like I need to poo but can’t.  I don’t feel like I have to go, though.  I think I’ll drink some prune juice tomorrow morning just to be sure all flows easily – I can’t imagine having to bear down right now.

The sinus infection is adding to the difficulty sleeping.  I have to sit up and clear everything out every hour or so.  And the drainage is making me a bit nauseous.

I know this is a lot of whining.  I’ll be ok.  It just really caught me off-guard, since this was so easy last time!  Worst of all, I’ve GOT to go into work tomorrow.  My co-worker is out on vacation!  Also, there’s a chance we might do a 5-day transfer instead of a 3-day.  The three day would be perfect – it would fall on Saturday, I wouldn’t miss any more work at my full-time job, and I could lie around all day Saturday and Sunday, and Troy could go with me without missing any work.  But if we go with a five day transfer, I’ll have to call in and lie again on Monday, and I’ll definitely have to get up and go back to work on Tuesday.

It never occured to me that we might do a five-day transfer.  I thought that only happened with young women, not ones my age.  But the embryologist said Dr. Silverberg prefers five-day transfers when he can do them.  Does anyone know the benefit of five-day over three-day transfer?  It seems to me, the sooner they put the embies back inside, the better!

Argh, I’m nauseous.  I’m going to get some bread to snack on.


8 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Another Dreamer
    Sep 15, 2011 @ 00:05:26

    Oh hun. That sounds awful 😦 Hope the pain meds help and that things go smoothly… thinking of you!


  2. Stacey
    Sep 15, 2011 @ 01:45:19

    I’m so sorry!! I hope you get relief soon.

    I’ve only had 2 3Day Transfers so Ive never really gotten to a 5 day transfer, but the idea is that 5Day is better because then you can be even more certain that the strongest candidate(s) is/are put back because the embryologist has seen normal growth for 2 extra days.

    Good luck!


    • iamstacey
      Sep 15, 2011 @ 15:17:35

      I think there are less embryos to freeze if you go to five days, though. It’s just making me nervous! But then, the whole IF shebang makes me nervous! 🙂


  3. Pie
    Sep 15, 2011 @ 09:11:26

    You poor thing!! I found each retrieval is different, sometimes a breeze and sometimes not so fun. I hope you are feeling better soon.

    And yes, Day 5 transfers are preferred – the embies are at blastocyst stage by then, and embies that make it to blast are more likely to be genetically viable. So it is a very good thing if you can get to blast, and do a transfer on Day 5. Fingers crossed!


  4. katery
    Sep 15, 2011 @ 13:45:52

    aw, i’m so sorry, i hope you are feeling better soon. and you are such a non-whiner, but you are allowed to complain whenever you want, especially on your own blog!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: