Just We Two

Today was our first day together, just the two of us.  Mom decided it was time to go home and feed Dad.  He was getting low on supplies – and clean underwear.  I tried to convince her you can teach an old dog a few new tricks, like turning on an oven or a washing machine, but apparently previous unsuccessful attempts at this had firmly convinced her otherwise.  Either that, or she was desperate to sleep through the night for a change.  So first it was Troy, off to work at 8:30, then Mom around 10:30. 

I expected a regular routine of eat, burp, change diaper, sleep, change diaper, eat, rinse, cycle, repeat.  But apparently, Little Miss St. Patrick’s Day was ready to PARTAY!  After a long day of bouncing, walking, swinging and singing, she finally drifted off for a nap around 3:30 – for 30 minutes.  Shortest nap for mom, ever!  Back to the party.  Somehow I managed to spill a bottle all over her, her blanket, her burp rag and my sweat pants.  At least it was a Similac bottle and not a precious breast milk one.  I’d have definitely cried over that.  The smell of the formula did bring tears to my eyes, come to think of it.

St. Patrick's Day 2011

Bath and laundry for everyone.  I tried to start dinner, but by the Troy came home, I’d accidentally cooked the hamburger in the microwave instead of just defrosting it, and I burned the refried beans.  Troy didn’t do much better – while crisping up the chalupas in the toaster oven, he accidentally set it on fire!  We tried blowing it out, but he had to break out the fire extinguisher.  This is our second time to have to use one – the first time was before we moved when I made a fire in the fireplace but the damper was closed and the house filled up with smoke.  The white stuff coated the whole kitchen!  I took Davie out on the back porch while Troy rounded up all the animals then opened all the windows and doors.  We did finally get some dinner, then we had to load all the dishes in the cabinets into the dishwasher.  Turns out the white stuff in the fire extinguisher managed to get up into the cabinets and coat the plates. 

Good news is, she did finally take a little nap.  Now she’s completely sleepy and we’re desperately trying to keep her awake so we can sleep during the night a little bit.  I think it might be a hopeless cause!

Sleepy Girl

Sleepless night or not, it’s wonderful to be home.  They finally released me from the hospital on Sunday.  I have to say, never having had a kidney infection before, the pain was insane.  It’s probably because I was masking it with the pain killers they gave me after the birth, and my own ignorance.  I just assumed there would be pain after the birth.  It wasn’t until I couldn’t breathe, couldn’t stand, and couldn’t walk that I admitted Mom was right and something was very, very wrong.  Thank God for inventing morphine.

The week was full of doctor appointments for me and a yearly check-up for Mom.  I had my two week follow up with the OB who delivered Davie, Dr. Breen.  She wore a little yellow dress that I wore as a baby with a new yellow bow from Nana.  I didn’t realize she’d blinked in the pic and I wish I’d taken more than one.

Dr. Breen and Davie

Yesterday we actually braved the grocery store.  It’s nice to have the pantry, freezer and fridge all stocked up.  We were going to do that before Davie came but just didn’t get to it before I was induced.  I really thought we still had another three weeks or so to go before she came!  In fact, I thought she’d be born this week, maybe even on St. Patrick’s Day.  She proved me wrong!

And I’m so glad she did.   This has been the best day ever.  Just we two.

It's funny to keep Mommy awake


21 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. linds
    Mar 17, 2011 @ 22:37:55

    Glad to hear you are on the mend! Yikes to a kidney infection. :S Sounds like you and your girl had a lovely day together today!


  2. Aisha
    Mar 17, 2011 @ 23:01:14

    AWWWWWWWWWWWW That smile is MELTING MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    She is BEAUTIFUL! 🙂

    And you were attempting to COOK with a newborn? You are superwoman. I dont think I touched the stove for the first two months- and I mean that literally.


    • iamstacey
      Mar 17, 2011 @ 23:02:10

      I think that would’ve been the much wiser way to go. 🙂 Fortunately mom will be back tomorrow!


      • Aisha
        Mar 18, 2011 @ 09:12:29

        And if mom goes away again- PIZZA [insert any other take out option] seriously- relax and just savor this time- let the house go to hell and enjoy that blessing in your arms.


  3. My Bumpy Journey
    Mar 17, 2011 @ 23:04:01

    I am so glad you are home and feeling better. Kidney infections DO SUCK! I can’t imagine all you went through. OWWIE.

    Too funny about the dinner and kitchen catasthrope. Sometimes you just have to throw you hands up and say UNCLE!

    She is so stinking CUTE!!!!!!!!


  4. Kari
    Mar 17, 2011 @ 23:47:01

    Adorable!! Glad you’re home and enjoying all your sweet moments with her!!


  5. Stacey
    Mar 17, 2011 @ 23:58:00

    She is so darn cute!!!! 🙂


  6. athena
    Mar 18, 2011 @ 08:12:24

    Aww!! ❤


  7. Hope
    Mar 18, 2011 @ 19:29:23

    That last picture is so cute. Makes me want to squeeze her little cheeks with that mischevious smile!


  8. Another Dreamer
    Mar 18, 2011 @ 23:05:46

    Glad you got to go home, and hopefully feeling much better too. What a cutie you have there 🙂 So awesome. Hope you can catch some sleep, and your days are less stressful. I’ve never had had to break out the fire extinguishers… that must have been scary!


    • iamstacey
      Mar 21, 2011 @ 22:47:24

      It was definitely an adventure! Fortunately we found a place that will recharge the extinguisher for $20. Good deal, since the extinguisher itself was $50! But hopefully we won’t have to use it again!! 🙂


  9. katery
    Mar 19, 2011 @ 18:11:20

    she is too cute! it takes a while to get the swing of it, but eventually you do develop a rhythm, you guys will get there.


  10. birdsandsquirrels
    Apr 11, 2011 @ 13:58:01

    She is so adorable! I am so, so happy for you! I wanted to comment a while back about breastfeeding. I had such a difficult time with breastfeeding Birdie, especially the first few weeks. I tried fenugreek and reglan and finally managed to only supplement with one bottle of formula a day. You are doing such a great job!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: